STEP ONE - NEW OFFERING - ONLINE LTC CLASS
As a new offering for people who cannot afford to spend 5 or 6 consecutive hours in a classroom, we have partnered with the premier OnLine LTC course provider. You can take this 4 hour course On Line at your own pace. When you complete the online course you will receive your LTC101 form and you can schedule your private range time for the LTC shooting test.
Click below to register or learn more and see a sample of the online License to Carry course.
Click below for special pricing
STEP TWO - Shooting Test ONLY for online LTC students
When you have completed your online LTC Class and have your LTC101 form in hand, let us schedule your private shooting test. Cost for the test is $40 plus range fee. You will need to bring your handgun and 50 rounds of ammunition along with eye and ear protection, and your LTC101 form. Please note that you need to be safe and proficient with a handgun before taking this test.
Let us know your preferred date and time.
LTC - Texas Legislative Update May 26, 2017. NEW LTC FEE
Below is information about the Texas License to Carry (LTC) class (formerly called CHL)
What is the difference between CHL and LTC?
Starting January 1, 2016 Texas will allow registered license holders to open carry in public. Because the law no longer requires your firearms to be concealed, Texas changed the licensing name from CHL (Concealed Handgun License) to LTC (License to Carry). Current CHL holders are now licensed to carry in the open IN TEXAS. Please be sure to wear a retention holster.
I want to take a Texas LTC (License to Carry) class to learn to shoot better. Will that teach me to shoot?
The Texas LTC class is a very good class but it does not teach shooting. It teaches Texas law as relates to concealed carry. You need a basic knowledge of your handgun to qualify on the range, shooting center of mass a total of 50 rounds at a B27 target from 9 feet, 21 feet, and 45 feet.
If you want to learn to shoot, we recommend "Pistol 101" or the Basic Pistol Shooting class. You can click HERE to learn about our Pistol 101 Classes.
You wouldn't go for your drivers license without first learning how to drive. Don't go for your LTC without first learning how to shoot safely.
Can I take the License to Carry class online or do I need to spend all day in a classroom?
Texas now allows and has approved a couple of online LTC Classes. (be careful not all who claim they are approved by Texas are valid). We have partnered with the premier online class. After you complete the online class you can schedule your required shooting test. This is NEW to Texas this year (2018) and is a great solution.
What type of class/training is required to obtain a Texas License to Carry a Handgun (LTC)?
An applicant may attend LTC classroom training and demonstrate handgun proficiency (shooting) with a Texas Qualified LTC Instructor, or
An applicant may receive LTC online training (classroom only) through an Approved Online Course Provider who has been approved in Texas. After, successfully passing the online classroom portion, an applicant must attend 1-2 hours of range instruction class and demonstrate handgun proficiency (shooting) with a Texas Qualified LTC Instructor.
What are the eligibility requirements to obtain a Texas LTC?
Texas Code § 411.172(a) A person is eligible for a license to carry a handgun if the person:
- is a legal resident of this state for the six-month period preceding the date of application,
- is at least 21 years of age, (military 18 - 21 years old now eligible - 2005 Texas CHL law change),
- has not been convicted of a felony,
- is not charged with the commission of a felony, Class A or Class B misdemeanor, or Disorderly Conduct,
- is not a fugitive from justice for a felony, Class A or Class B misdemeanor,
- is not a chemically dependent person,
- is not incapable of exercising sound judgment with respect to the proper use and storage of a handgun,
- has not, in the five years preceding the date of application, been convicted of a Class A or Class B misdemeanor or an offense under Disorderly Conduct, Section 42.01, Penal Code,
- is fully qualified under applicable federal and state law to purchase a handgun,
- has not been finally determined to be delinquent in the payment of a tax or other money collected by the comptroller,
- has not been finally determined to be delinquent in making a child support payment administered or collected by the attorney general,
- is not currently restricted under a court protective order subject to a restraining order affecting a spousal relationship,
- has not, in the 10 years preceding the date of application, been adjudicated as having engaged in delinquent conduct violating a penal law in the grade of felony
- has not made any material misrepresentation, or failed to disclose any material fact, in an application submitted pursuant to Section 411.174 or in a request for application submitted pursuant to Section 411.175.
Direct any questions about eligibility to the DPS web-site www.txdps.state.tx.us
Where can I find the Texas Laws for the Texas LTC Holder?
This link is the Texas code governing the license to carry holder and regulations.
What is the shooting test like for the Texas LTC Class?
To qualify for a Texas License to Carry the following range qualifications must be met. A Total of 50 rounds will be fired during the course of the qualification test. A score of 70%, or 175 points of a possible 250, is required to pass. The target used is a B-27 which is a human-shaped silhouette target measuring 45 by 24 inches. All shooting is from the ready position, which means the gun is already in your hands and aimed in. No holster shooting or shooting from concealed is required. Your handgun must be .22 caliber or larger.
Course of Fire:
3 yard line – 20 shots:
- 1 shot in 2 seconds, 5 times
- 2 shots in 3 seconds, 5 times
- 5 shots in 10 seconds, once
7 yard line – 20 shots:
- 5 shots in 10 seconds, once
- 1 shot in 3 seconds, 5 times
- 2 shots in 4 seconds, once
- 3 shots in 6 seconds, once
- 5 shots in 15 seconds, once
15 yard line – 10 shots:
- 2 shots in 6 seconds, once
- 3 shots in 9 seconds, once
- 5 shots in 15 seconds, once
A score of 70%, or 175 points of a possible 250, is required to pass. 5 Points for each shot within the 8 ring, 4 points for each shot within the 7 ring, 3 points for each shot within the colored silhouette, but outside the 7 ring, no points for shots outside the silhouette.
Schedule your Private LTC Class here
For those interested in privacy and discretion, we offer an instructor led private LTC class. This class is typically given to a couple or small family. We allow up to 4 people in the private class. We can teach this class at your home, office, or local gun range. This is a 6 hour class and includes your shooting test. Cost for this class is $500.
NEW OFFERING - ONLINE LTC CLASS
As a new offering for people who cannot afford to spend 6 consecutive hours in a classroom, we have partnered with the premier OnLine LTC course provider. You can take the course On Line at your own pace. When you complete the online course, you can schedule your private range time for the shooting test.
Click below to register or learn more and see a sample of the course.